Tokyo, Japan

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Tokyo Tower


My hotel, The Somerset, is located in Higashi-Azabu (that's Azabu East) on a main road named Sakurada Dori. (Dori is the word for street when used in combination with a street name.)

While the street is six lanes across, unlike New York City, there is no constant roar of garbage trucks at 3AM. I have been told Tokyo is a busy, crowded place, but the crowding here has a different feel. New York is an assault on your senses as a human being; Tokyo is pleasant by comparison.

Where are the police sirens, jackhammers, rotting garbage, and potholes in the streets? I cannot yet find them. I stand on a crowded metro platform waiting for the next train on a Friday night and the station is nearly silent except for (clear) announcements over the loudspeaker.

Crowded streets are also incredibly quiet by standards from the United States. While taxi drivers here drive very fast, their horn in not their first choice for communication with pedistrians and other drivers. This is a relief from my old studio in the West Village.

To the left is a photograph of the Tokyo Tower. It is on the plot of land behind my hotel. Unfortunately, my view faces the other way. Regardless, at the street level, it is stunning. It is the size of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. It is painted bright orange and well lit for viewing at night. As explained, most Tokyo radio and television stations broadcast from this tower.

There is an elevator and accompanying stairs to climb to two different levels. I have yet to make the trek, but I will post a good photo or two when I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home