Tokyo, Japan

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Kamakura I


Upon the recommendation of my manager, Richard Robinson, I went to Kamakura today to see two Buddhist temples. Kyoto is the most famous city for temples in Japan. Preserved during World War II on the advice of American academics, Tokyo was instead bombed flat; everything is new.

I rode the Japan Railways (JR) express line about 40 minutes south. My trip alone encompassed three trains. For others they may accompany more! Hiyiba Metro line from Kamiyacho to Ebisu, then JR Yamanote line to Shinagawa, then a change to an express train to Kamakura. Never did I wait more than three minutes, and this was a Sunday. (Hint: Remember this express line when heading Yokohama in the future -- two stops, twenty minutes.)

The first walk through the center of town revealed the usual tourist traps, but only 1000m outside all this disappeared. A tiny winding road lead into the hills where this Buddhist shrine and temple lies (there is a distinction I do not understand). As I arrived at the front gate, the keeper approached me in English to tell me that I was welcome to explore, except the main gates were closed for the day.

I spent over an hour walking the enormous grounds and climbed to the top of a hill (mountain?) to get this picture. It was drizzling part of the day and pouring the rest. The clouds provided a nice, smoky cover for photographs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home