Tokyo, Japan

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Prince Hotel Temple II

I didn't do justice to the Prince Hotel Temple statuettes in my prior post. Here is a closer picture. You can see their peaceful expression, "hoodie", and colourful accessories.

Looking back at the photographs now, I realised these statuettes were not all carved from the same stone. Varying shades were used: from very dark to very light. The one featured was one of the lightest. (It is easiest to see its expression in a smaller photograph.)

Also, the statuettes appear quite new. There is little weathering to their surfaces, but the larger statue in the prior post was aged. (Is this a traveling roadshow of statues for temples?) Perhaps they periodically upgrade their wares to continually attract visitors.

One trend I have noticed as I visit more temples: they appear constantly to be under renovation. I guess with the weather of Tokyo (wet) and nature of the building materials (stone and wood), damage will accumulate over time. Can the donation boxes be enough, or does the nation support them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home