Tokyo, Japan

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Kagurazaka I


I traveled to a small neighborhood outside the Kagurazaka subway stop on the Tozai line. This was the picture perfect European neighborhood in the middle of Tokyo. Far from the hustle of Roppongi and Otemachi, the street was filled with tiny shops for browsing.

To the left is a photo of the street with a group of people walking. I saw a few Europeans walking with their children. The way they stopped and chatted gave me the feeling they were locals to the area.

I stopped for a small snack in a sweets shop. Inside, fancy deserts were served akin to a French restaurant, except everything was green tea-focused: dark green tea served to begin, green tea jelly, and sweet green tea topping over ice. I don't know the name, but I have read about these places. They are traditional gathering places for women. Many were dressed in traditional clothers; one even wore white gloves to serve herself. The number of men was few. Still, the maitre'd was welcoming and spoke some English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home