Tokyo, Japan

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Seoul, South Korea IV

In the Insadong neighborhood, I found a number of art galleries. Oddly, I have yet to find an equivalent neighborhood in Tokyo. This one had an impressive installion revolving around the imaginary process of machining dice manually using a drill press. A combination of key lighting and acrylic spheres made for an awing presentation. My camera can do little justice. Apologies in advance for the lighting issues.

When I ask the Japanese where artists live, they uniformly respond, "They have left." Apparently, good-to-great Japanese artists leave to live in Bangkok, London, New York, and California. Music is alive in Japan, but visual arts are nearly absent in Tokyo.

The only thing I regret not buying in Seoul was the handmade paper in this neighborhood. Everywhere, small notebooks were available for less than $10. Next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home