Tokyo, Japan

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

British Museum I: Stolen Goods Available for Touching


One thing the British and Taiwanese got right: They knew what to steal! I visited The British Museum for the first time as an adult recently on a business trip. The Egyptian section is incredible. Statues appear to have been carved just a few years ago. I never believed my father when he said this about the Rosetta Stona. The stone used in carvings from ancient Egypt must be very hard because there is little sign of wear.

This statue is massive and fortunately far from the crowds below. I would guess this section is about two meters tall. Many large carvings are available for the general public to touch. Only some are encased in glass. Even though signs announce touching is not allowed, it is a common sight. The guards hardly seemed to care. I imagine the stones are cleaned regularly. Still, many of the bases were stained with oil from peoples hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home