Tokyo, Japan

Monday, December 17, 2007

Weathering A Winter


The sign next to this pine tree explained that trees were once wrapped in winters to protect their branches during heavy snowfall. From a distance, it appears to be strings of Christmas tree lights. I'm surprised they don't keep the parks open during the holiday season with lights. This might attract more visitors during the winter months.

Tokyo rarely receives snow these days, so I don't think the tree is actually wrapped with a protective cloth. This process is more for decoration today. (If I see one wrapped later this winter, I will post a picture.)

When Japanese pine trees (matsu) mature, they often grow into twisted shapes. Unable to support the weight of their own branches, special supports are built that look like giant crutches. I'm not sure if Japanese pines grow this way unadulterated or due to damage from lightening strikes and fires that follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home